Plums are here! This ice cream combo is unique, but perfectly paired. Floral cardamom-honey ice cream tastes amazing with roasted plums and salty, pistachio granola.
Plums are so good right now! So let me tell you how I came up with this ice cream, plum, granola combo.
I actually created this cardamom ice cream a few years ago. I came up with this at a time when I was experimenting a lot with Indian food, hence the cardamom-infused flavor. One major tweak I made to this recipe is the amount of the time the cardamom pods steep in the ice cream base. I decided to cut way back on the time as the cardamom begins to impart a bitter flavor the longer it steeps. It just gets a little overwhelming and unpleasant. I think the ice cream lightly infused with cardamon and sweetened with floral honey is so delicious and unique in flavor.
This cardamom-honey ice cream is complimented so well by the plums and granola. The buttery roasted plums provide great acidity to cut through the rich, floral ice cream. The salty-sweet pistachio granola is another great flavor component, and also brings some much-desired crunch. Disclaimer: This granola is addictive! Don’t say I didn’t warn you. It’s also loosely based on a granola recipe from Eleven Madison Park, so it’s almost fancy. I hope some of you out there give this less-than-typical combination a try, otherwise, each element is so delicious and versatile, you can just cook up your favorite part!
Cardamom-Honey Ice Cream with Roasted Plums & Pistachio Granola PrintServes: 8Ingredients
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tbsp green cardamom pods, cracked
- ½ cup light to medium honey (I used orange blossom)
- Dash of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ⅓ cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 ½ tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 ½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Fleur de sel, for sprinkling
- 4 ripe plums (I prefer red), halved and pitted
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Combine cream, milk, cardamom, honey and salt in a medium saucepan. Warm over medium heat until mixture comes to simmer. Cover and remove from heat. Allow mixture to steep about 5-10 minutes or until the cardamom flavor is apparent, yet subtle. Remove the cardamom, using a spider or slotted spoon. If you allow the mixture to steep too long, it will become bitter.
- Place a sieve over a large bowl and set aside. Bring cream mixture back to a simmer over medium heat. Beat egg yolk and sugar until combined. Temper eggs by spooning about 2-3 ladlefuls of the cream mixture into the yolk mixture while constantly whisking. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour egg mixture into cream mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk for about 3-5 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat. Pour ice cream base through the sieve into the bowl to remove any lumps. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Chill in fridge at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours. Freeze using an ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let set completely in freezer. Enjoy.
- For the granola, preheat oven to 225°F and line a baking tray with a silpat or parchment.
- Combine syrup, sugar, oil and salt in a bowl. Microwave for about 30-60 seconds or until sugar is dissolved. Place oats and pistachios on tray and toss to coat in maple mixture.
- Bake for a total of 2-3 hours, stirring every 20 minutes, or until maple mixture has thickened to just coat the oats and nuts. Push granola into a tight bunch to encourage clusters to form. Lightly season with fleur de sel. Cool to room temperature. Store in the fridge.
- For the plums, preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking tray with a silpat or parchment.
- Toss halved plums in butter, sugar and salt. Place on baking sheet, cut side down.
- Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes, or until softened and beginning to release juices. Peel and discard skin. Chop and combine with any juices from the baking tray.
- To serve, scoop ice cream into bowl and top with chopped plums and granola.