- 1/4 cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 x 400g cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1.5L (6 cups) vegetable stock
- 1kg clams (vongole), rinsed
- 2 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked
Heat oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan with a lid over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery and parsley, and cook for 1-2 minutes until slightly softened. Add garlic and cook for a further 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the chickpeas and stock and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 8-10 minutes until slightly reduced. Remove pan from heat and cool slightly. Transfer to a blender and whiz until smooth, adding a little water if necessary to loosen.
Return soup to saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, then add clams. Cover and cook, shaking the saucepan occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until shells have opened. Season.
Ladle into serving bowls, garnish with rosemary leaves and freshly ground black pepper, and drizzle with a little oil to serve.